About Hirsch & Associates Philanthropic Advisors
In 1999, Susan Hirsch founded Hirsch & Associates Philanthropic Advisors – with the mentorship of legendary philanthropist and community collaborator Warren Hellman—to help philanthropists solve the great challenges of our time. Today we direct more than $100M annually on behalf of our clients.
Hirsch & Associates is more than a philanthropic advisory firm. We are strategic changemakers who have led innovative organizations, community initiatives and advocacy campaigns. Our model for connecting the private, public and nonprofit sectors to create social change distinguishes Hirsch & Associates as a leader in the philanthropic advising field.
We are a team of cross-sector experts, bringing deep knowledge of how to create and scale change with measurable results. We partner with community and non-profit leaders, established foundations and philanthropists, and the private sector to realize our clients’ ambitious goals.
Please see our website for more details: www.hirschassoc.com
Hirsch & Associates seeks to hire an Associate Director to join our growing team. This position presents an exciting opportunity for a candidate with expertise and experience in the Bay Area non-profit, philanthropic, or related sectors and a strong desire to expand their impact.
The Associate Director will join a highly collaborative team that is deeply committed to excellence in philanthropy. S/he will research, develop, and implement philanthropic strategies; build and steward grant portfolios, and support exciting projects on behalf of our family and foundation clients.
Hirsch & Associates is a people-centric business that deeply values our employees as whole people and encourages them to learn, innovate, and grow. We are committed to building our firm’s cultural diversity to address the complex issues facing our communities and we encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
This position is best suited for a generalist who will work across a range of client engagements in the Bay Area and beyond.
Philanthropic Strategy Development and Implementation: Work in collaboration with our clients, firm colleagues and community stakeholders to build philanthropic approaches, grant portfolios and recommendations that are aligned with client priorities and meet real community needs:
- Conduct research and analysis on issues and organizations
- Build / manage grant portfolios in a variety of issue areas
- Build community relationships and partnerships to inform and facilitate philanthropic impact
Philanthropic Consulting: Partner with senior firm leadership on a range of important client engagements:
- Drive client impact and satisfaction by assessing goals, researching opportunities, implementing grantmaking, and communicating progress and impact
- Develop and present compelling materials for client learning and decision-making
- Actively support business development activities with prospective and new clients
Grant Stewardship: Maintain strong relationships with robust community organizations that are grant candidates and recipients:
- Identify / develop tailored grant opportunities for clients
- Manage grants throughout lifespan including due diligence, proposal and grant agreement, monitoring and reporting, and assessment
- Identify opportunities to increase impact of important projects and organizations
Team Collaboration: Contribute as a key member of the Hirsch & Associates team:
- Actively participate as a key member of a collaborative team committed to a positive team culture, continuous improvement and community impact
Education & Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree preferred
- 5+ years work experience in nonprofit, philanthropy, consulting, or related sectors
- Community-based expertise, with prior experience and network in Silicon Valley and/or San Francisco desired
- Experience and comfort working with high net worth families desired
- Consulting and client services experience a plus
- Strategic thinker who is excited by learning new things, adept at problem solving, and skilled at research and analysis
- Adept program generalist with expertise in one or two particular issue areas, as well as strong understanding of nonprofit organizational development and philanthropy best practices
- Exceptional project management, oral and written communication skills
- Knowledge and sensitivity to effectively work with and support the diverse communities in which our clients give, including appreciation for historical context, discernment of relationship nuances and power dynamics, and understanding of social and racial realities
- Ability to bring professionalism, sensitivity and discretion to client engagements
- Collegial and collaborative team member
- Able to work with humor and grace under pressure
Health benefits; paid time off; employer IRA contribution after six months of employment
Please email the following materials to email@example.com with “Associate Director- Generalist” in the subject line:
- Resume and cover letter highlighting your relevant experience and expertise
- Writing sample that demonstrates ability to write in a clear and accessible style about a complex issue and/or to make a compelling recommendation or argument
- List of three references
Hirsch & Associates is an equal opportunity employer. We respect, honor, and celebrate the unique talents and perspectives that each member of our team contributes to our work.