About Hirsch & Associates Philanthropic Advisors
In 1999, Susan Hirsch founded Hirsch & Associates Philanthropic Advisors – with the mentorship of legendary philanthropist and community collaborator Warren Hellman—to help philanthropists solve the great challenges of our time. Today we direct more than $100M annually on behalf of our clients.
Hirsch & Associates is more than a philanthropic advisory firm. We are strategic changemakers who have led innovative organizations, community initiatives and advocacy campaigns. Our model for connecting the private, public and nonprofit sectors to create social change distinguishes Hirsch & Associates as a leader in the philanthropic advising field. We are a team of cross-sector experts, bringing deep knowledge of how to create and scale change with measurable results. We partner with community and non-profit leaders, established foundations and philanthropists, and the private sector to realize our clients’ ambitious goals.
Hirsch & Associates seeks to hire a Program Officer to join our growing team. This position presents an exciting opportunity for a candidate with expertise and experience in the Bay Area non-profit, philanthropic, or related sectors and a strong desire to expand their impact. This position is best suited for a generalist who will work in a fast-paced environment across a range of client engagements, issues and responsibilities in the Bay Area and beyond.
The Program Officer will join a highly collaborative team that is deeply committed to excellence in philanthropy. S/he will research, develop, and implement philanthropic strategies; interact with a variety of clients; provide strong project management for various teams and clients; build and steward grant portfolios; and support exciting projects on behalf of our family and foundation clients.
Hirsch & Associates is a client-focused, people-centric business that deeply values our employees as whole people and encourages them to learn, innovate, and grow. We are committed to building our firm’s cultural diversity to address the complex issues facing our communities and we encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
Philanthropic Strategy Development and Implementation – Work in collaboration with our clients, firm colleagues and community stakeholders to build philanthropic approaches, grant portfolios and recommendations that are aligned with client priorities and meet real community needs:
- Conduct research and analysis on issues and organizations
- Build / manage grant portfolios in a variety of issue areas
- Build community relationships and partnerships to inform and facilitate philanthropic impact
Project Management – Work with our firm colleagues in teams to project manage complex client engagements:
- Develop systems and best practices to keep teams aligned
- Work with a variety of firm leaders and colleagues to drive client work forward
- Plan and facilitate client meetings in consultation with the team
- Lead internal meetings
Philanthropic Consulting – Partner with senior firm leadership on a range of important client engagements, including deadline-driven projects:
- Drive client impact and satisfaction by assessing goals, researching opportunities, implementing
grantmaking, and communicating progress and impact
- Interact with clients, respond to client inquiries and requests, provide outstanding client
- Develop and present compelling materials for client learning and decision-making
- Actively support business development activities with prospective and new clients
Grant Stewardship – Maintain strong relationships with robust community organizations that are grant candidates and recipients:
- Identify / develop tailored grant opportunities for clients
- Manage grants throughout lifespan including due diligence, proposal and grant agreement, monitoring and reporting, and assessment
- Identify opportunities to increase impact of important projects and organizations
Team Collaboration – Contribute as a key member of the Hirsch & Associates team:
- Actively participate as a key member of a collaborative team committed to a positive team culture, continuous improvement and community impact
Education & Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree preferred
- 5+ years work experience in nonprofit, philanthropy, consulting, or related sectors
- Community-based expertise, with prior experience and network in San Francisco desired; experience in Silicon Valley a plus
- Experience and comfort working with high net worth families desired
- Consulting and client services experience a plus; Experience in multiple sectors a plus
- Strategic thinker who is excited by learning new things, adept at problem solving, and skilled at research and analysis
- Adept program generalist with expertise in one or two particular issue areas, as well as strong understanding of nonprofit organizational development and philanthropy best practices
- In addition to working across multiple issue areas, also adept at working with different types of clients and across a range of responsibilities
- Exceptional project management, oral and written communication skills
- Knowledge and sensitivity to effectively work with and support the diverse communities in which our clients give, including appreciation for historical context, discernment of relationship nuances and power dynamics, and understanding of social and racial realities
- Ability to bring professionalism, sensitivity and discretion to client engagements
- Collegial and collaborative team member
- Agile and entrepreneurial, able to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Able to work with humor and grace under pressure
- Please email a resume and cover letter highlighting relevant experience to our recruiter, Lisa Long, at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Program Officer Position” in the subject
- Qualified applicants will be contacted directly to schedule an interview. Please do not call the Hirsch & Associates office.
Hirsch & Associates is an equal opportunity employer. We respect, honor, and celebrate the unique talents and perspectives that each member of our team contributes to our work.