About Hirsch & Associates
In 1999, Susan Hirsch founded Hirsch & Associates Philanthropic Advisors — with the mentorship of legendary philanthropist and community collaborator Warren Hellman — to help philanthropists solve the great challenges of our time. With expertise in the private, public and non-profit sectors and success creating a new philanthropic model, Susan and the talented team she has assembled, have been pioneers and leaders in the emerging philanthropic advising field in the San Francisco Bay Area, now the epicenter of philanthropic innovation.
Today, Hirsch & Associates directs more than $100M annually to create high-impact change across the country. We have a team of well-known cross-sector experts, each bringing deep knowledge of how to create and scale change for measurable impact. In addition, Hirsch & Associates has developed a thriving practice in support of a stronger and more resilient democracy, including directing significant resources to candidates and advocacy organizations.
“Philanthropy is an investment of resources and time to solve complex community challenges that aren’t going to be solved overnight with a quick-fix. Creating high-impact change requires fresh thinking, creative partnerships and a willingness to take risks. Ultimately, philanthropy is an optimistic investment in the future.”
-Susan Hirsch, Founder and CEO
For more information about our firm, please visit our website: www.hirschassoc.com
The Managing Director will have the opportunity to help propel Hirsch & Associates to the next level of performance in a growing and rapidly evolving industry.
The firm has more than tripled in size over the last several years and continues to expand at a fast pace. Our significant growth is one of the key reasons why this new Managing Director role is being added. Working in close partnership with the CEO and the Senior Management Team (SMT), the Managing Director will lead Hirsch & Associates’ business development efforts.
Key measures of success for this role will be driving new client acquisition and development, establishing big picture partnerships with public and private leaders, and working seamlessly with other members of the firm to manage the enterprise. The Managing Director will also oversee and lead key client engagements.
We are seeking a unique business leader, one who is results and mission-driven, seasoned and agile, strategic and process-minded. The ideal candidate will have experience building a professional services practice and organization, leading teams, delivering extraordinary client service and contributing to a high-performance culture comprised of diverse and talented professionals.
- Facilitate the firm’s business development strategy and capabilities, including active engagement in the community and professional networks to expand recognition of the brand and the cultivation of prospects;
- Oversee engagements with philanthropic individuals and institutions including:
- Creation of long-term strategies;
- Oversight of the coordination and management of these client engagements;
- Development of the grant recommendations and relationships with grantees and community beneficiaries on behalf of clients;
- Management of the teams who handle high profile grants and complex programs; and
- Lead the firm’s development of expertise in systems and policies shaping our community’s most critical issues, and coordinate with other funders and key players, to design comprehensive change strategies
- Drive new business development on behalf of the firm;
- Be a widely recognized thought leader in one or more areas of philanthropy that contribute significantly to the field and is recognized as such;
- Lead and mentor staff to achieve a versatile, high-performing team with solid relationship and business development skills; and
- Take on other roles to support key needs of Hirsch & Associates, as necessary
Skills, Qualifications & Characteristics
We are seeking a candidate who is passionate about the work and the core values of Hirsch & Associates and is driven by our mission to create high-impact change. The ideal candidate will have proven experience in serving clients, having built a successful practice around philanthropy, or a related business, and managing programs and investments.
Specific qualifications include:
- Broad experience (10+ years) leading a professional services or consulting practice with success in driving new business and new client development;
- Demonstrated success in revenue generation and managing profitability;
- Comfortable overseeing the development and management of large-scale public-private programs;
- Track record of building relationships in philanthropy, public sector and business, cultivating high net worth individuals, foundation executives and other partners;
- Significant personal networks within the philanthropic and donor communities;
- Knowledge of mechanics of the donor world, e.g. board governance, legal structures, funding mechanisms such as donor-advised funds;
- Recognized leader in policymaking, planning or administration in a relevant field;
- Deep knowledge of the current issues of importance to the community and the Bay Area;
- Demonstrated ability to convene local and national lay and professional committees and organize interdisciplinary initiatives;
- Significant leadership and organizational skills having managed teams of professionals with the ability to enforce accountability, develop and empower professionals;
- Strong written and verbal communications skills, including significant experience in successfully crafting client proposals, publishing persuasive articles, and making inspiring and insightful presentations in front of clients and prospects; and,
- Advanced degree in business administration or other relevant field highly desired
Characteristics of a Successful Candidate
- Adept at building relationships with high net worth individuals and influential leaders in both the institutional donor and beneficiary communities;
- Comfortable leveraging relationships into client consulting engagements;
- Drawn to diverse groups of people working at the top of their field;
- Natural speaker in front of both large and small groups;
- Responsive to clients’ interests;
- Thrives in a leadership role;
- Ability to work with humor and grace under pressure;
- Creative and innovative problem solver;
- Possesses intellectual curiosity — constantly exploring and learning; and
- Collegial, collaborative team member
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation includes a competitive base salary, performance-based bonus and an excellent package of health, retirement savings and other benefits.
Location: San Francisco Preferred
For an initial conversation to explore this position or learn more, please contact Liz Crowley at (415) 707-0598 or email@example.com
Hirsch & Associates is an equal opportunity employer. We respect, honor, and celebrate the unique talents and perspectives that each member of our team contributes to our work.